Friday 22 October 2010

Its a different World

So now I am in US! Life here is so different from Europe or Asia! Public Transport system is virtually nonexistent. Oh! I miss the beautiful Swiss trams, trolley buses and certainly the trains.
People are always in their cars. I have seen people moving in a cemetery in cars...Why they never seem to walk!!
And there are so many obese people here!!People even take motor trolleys in shopping malls to avoid walking.
Being an Indian and living in European countries for so many years, I have always loved to walk. In Switzerland even old people are going hiking and they look so fit in spite of their age.
In my own country, the young and the poor are always ready to walk. The old and well to do Indians try to avoid walking. But here in US the children's parks are empty. The footpaths are empty. And everyone is either inside their rooms or cars.
In the housing community I live in,there are three children's parks with slides and swings. My husband chose this housing specifically for those parks since he didn’t find those facilities in most of the neighborhoods where he searched for an apartment. Still these parks are most often empty. My little daughter is often the only child playing.
But there are so many children in the neighborhood! Yet they are nowhere to be found.
That day my girl was riding the slide and I saw a car stop by the park. A lady came out, took out her kid, and took out his little tricycle. I told my daughter “There’s a friend. He will be coming here to play".
The lady started taking her groceries to her house and when she finished, it was time up. The child had to go in with his mother.
No wonder there are so many obese people in this country.

3 comments:

  1. It is very nice of your thinking. We will be glad
    if there is change for betterment of the problems
    you face. D.K Mukherjee Kolkata , India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were new in Canada ... we didn't have our own car ... we used to take the bus ...ambitious and enthusiastic as we were still to explore nearby places with a stroller in this cold weather... ..we took our trip to Wonderland ...we took the wrong bus.. and so we had a real hard struggle to push the stroller through those long grass as there is no footpath ..who needs one ..when everyone has car:)...and no one to ask for the correct route ... I often wonder that we used to play a lot when we were kids ..now all that my children know or are interested is in Xboxes ,computers,playstations... my little one already knows how to search for his games online and play efficiently as like an adult...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your experience Ritu.

    I know.I had been there:).We have one car but he goes to office in that.And I have tried in every way possible to find out a way to reach a shopping mall on foot with my daughter on a stroller.Few people jog on the grass but it is so difficult to walk with a stroller on the grass.But,now luckily I have found out a way to walk and reach a supermarket on foot.And the two of us(me and Sonama)go there once a week....

    ReplyDelete